Access, Operation, and Use
- This instrument is available for both research and educational purposes. Depending on the type of biological specimen, the average scanning time can range from 2-12 hours.
- When data acquisition is completed, a 3D reconstructed volume will be available for analysis in minutes.
- Instrument usage has limited direct access; operation and maintenance of the instrument, including data acquisition, is performed by staff.
- Interested users must contact Sabra Djomehri (see contact info) and submit the Services Request Form which will be provided after the first correspondence.
Rates for Scanning
|Task Type||Rate for UCSF users||Rate for UC-affilated, or other academic users||Rate for non-academic/industry users|
|Micro-CT Scanning, mechanical testing||35||45||150|
|Image processing and data analysis||35||45||150|
|Consultations, scheduled meetings||35||45||150|
- Rates are subject to change
- Data analysis time performed using advanced software (Amira, Avizo, etc.) by either the user or micro-CT specialist on our workstations is charged
- Data analysis performed using the micro-CT system’s software and analysis troubleshooting is also charged.
For more information on specific sample holders used for specimen mounting, please click here.
Some common questions regarding scanning are:
- How can I match my sample size to the dimensional limits of the instrument?
- How can I optimize scan quality?
- How can I optimize scan time with my current budget?
- What is the cost estimate of a scan?
To help clarify these questions, please use the following table as a guide:
|Spatial resolution (pixel size in microns)||~10.5||~5.5||~2||~0.9||~0.4|
|Maximum attainable field of view (mm x mm)||14x14||6x6||2x2||0.8x0.8||0.5x0.5|
|Generic sample thickness (mm)||~3-10||~2-10||~0.2-2||~0.1-1||~0.05-1|
|Generic sample height (mm)||~5-25||~5-15||~1-10||~0.5-5||~0.2-5|
|Approximate scan time (tomography), in hours (fair quality)||~2-6||~2-4||~3-8||~4-10||~4-10|
|Approximate scan time (tomography), in hours (best quality)||~6-15||~4-10||~8-18||~10-20||~10-20|
|Approximate 2D radiograph scan time, in minutes||~30-45||~30-45||~45-60||~45-60||~45-60|
*Note: The above information provides a rough estimation of actual scan parameters and is highly variable depending on sample type. Troubleshooting the system for each specific sample is required.